Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Three Reasons I HEART Paleo


For me, Paleo hasn't been all snausages and rosebuds, but there are somethings about Paleo that have me feeling wholesome and giddy while I'm on this journey to lose body fat, gain muscle, and do one pull-up by 12.31.11.  Here they are.


#3: I love doin' right by my family.
 I have a boy-child who is on the cusp of hitting the puberty.

Recent Paleo dinnertime conversations have been raucously entertaining as we hear about the boy-child's 5th grade discussions in growth and development class.  Is it wrong that I told my son to answer "vagina" to every question on his final growth and development exam? 
Apparently acne has been a topic of discussion in growth and development, and my pre-man-being has inquired into our family-gene pool's experience with acne.  I am sorry to tell him that we are a family of acne sufferers, and as our progeny, he needs to be extra careful with his diet and hygiene to avoid the dreaded zits.  Here's what's cool about Paleo.  It's an acne zapper.  My own issues with adult acne have significantly decreased during this Paleo challenge, which makes me happy that we're doin' right by the pre-pubescent and setting him up for good anti-acne eating habits.




#2:  The conveyor belt at the grocery store looks beautiful.  Watching the veggies, fruits, and meats ONLY -- NO BOXES, NOT A ONE -- slowly glide by on the conveyor belt has been a joy.  The graceful glide of peppers, garlic bulbs, grass-fed meats, and wild-caught fish is a sight to behold, and it feels so right.  No processed food.  The only plastic-y packaging that goes by is my on-sale Indigo Wild, and it's still all-natural.  I slather this awesomeness all-over to prevent agonizing-wintertime-itchiness.  Speaking of the grocery-store conveyor belt.  I am a self-professed hater of the grocery store.  Dragging my reluctant-self into the Price Chopper and Hen House is a chore, but Paleo eating has changed that, too.  It's quick and easy to circle the perimeter of the grocery store when one is eating Paleo.  You won't catch this Cave Mom endlessly backtracking through aisles of canned goods and boxed foods.  Plus, our neighborhood Price Choppers and Hen Houses have great rewards programs.  At Price Chopper I have racked up lots o' discount QuikTrip gas since going Paleo while basically cutting our restaurant expenditures to zero.

#1: Even a snow day can't defeat this Cave Mom.  The timing of this Paleo challenge has been a doozy, and it's taught me that I CAN DO THIS.  We are at a grand-total of FIVE snow days that have occurred since I started the Paleo challenge.  FIVE.  That's enough snow days to drive even Mother-of-the-Year-Candidate-calibur moms to emotional eating binges chased by gallons of cocktail consumption.  I've held strong to Paleo and planned ahead.  The snowy wintertiming of this Paleo challenge has taught me that Paleo is absolutely a doable lifestyle for the long-haul.

Peace, love, Paleo-pull-up,
jpq 


No comments:

Post a Comment