Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Big Girl's Guide to Taking a Compliment

It makes sense that my body is a'changin' as I work toward this one pull up goal.

And, apparently people are taking notice; therefore, said people have been gracious enough to compliment me on my progress.

Here's where it gets awkward:

As a "big girl,"
compliments about my body make me uncomfortable.

Let me set the stage.

Kind Person:  "Hey, Jennifer.  You're looking really good.  How much weight have you lost?"

Me:  (Uncomfortable stammer.)  "Oh... I don't know."  (Proceed to shift focus off of me with self-depricating remark.)

Why is it that I'm more comfortable wallowing in the embarrassment of one of my coaches politely telling me that my underwear is showing (this has happened not once but twice since I started on this fitness journey) than accepting a kind compliment?  Curses, body image issues, which I'm sure started in childhood!  Curses, I say!

For a thoughtful piece about childhood body image and how to help your kiddos have a healthy body image, please click here.

I truly am working to revel in the fact that I've bought a couple -- or at least five -- new Lululemon workout wardrobe pieces to accentuate my improving physique and prevent underwear exposure.

Love these tank tops from Lululemon.  Ok, fine.  I've bought one in black and one in gray.
Now, if I could just get the hang of saying "thank you" when I receive a compliment, without blushing to my ears and proceeding to think about how much farther I have to go on this journey.

THANK YOU for reading,
jpq

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Blog! I read about this on Couach Rut's FB page. I went to Coach's bootcamp from Nov 09 to March 10 with great results. Look forward to following your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so many people, women in particular, have a hard time accepting compliments because we're (well, many, of us) ever vigilent about how we THINK others perceive us. We don't want to be perceived as having inflated egos, as if strong sense of self and pride are equated with the "sin" of pridefulness--and arrogance, and all the rest. Kudos to you on your journey of figuring out how to accept compliments. Perhaps you can show the rest of us some day.

    ReplyDelete