Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Toxic

Paleo and CrossFit proponents emphasize rest as a primary component of the Paleo/CrossFit lifestyle.  When I look back on my pull-upriffic year, I find that there is another key component of a healthy, pullable lifestyle:

NO TOXIC FRIENDSHIPS.


Yep. I said it. I said it 'cuz I can FINALLY do a pull-up! (Please visit my FB page for a video of the milestone moment if you haven't seen it.  Embarrassing and jubilant all rolled into one.)


Here's my unscientific guide to culling the toxic-waste friendships from your life if you're on a pull-up-esque journey.


Step One:  Kick 'Em to the Curb.
I would not have reached this pull-up milestone if I didn't consciously eliminate toxic friendships from my everyday contact just as my Bootcamp journey began last fall.  In fact, I recall an uncomfortable conversation with one toxic friend last September, wherein I explained why "this just wasn't working out." I told this friend that I was really trying to make some dramatic changes in my life, including my new 5 a.m. workout schedule.  I no longer had time for our daily, self-defeating gossip sessions.  This toxic friend had some cutting, defeating, snarky replies, but I just let 'em ride.  In fact, when I saw this friend during my Paleo challenge in January, and I explained to her why I wasn't eating what everyone else was eating during a banquet, she said in a cutting tone, "Good luck with that."


Step Two:  Recognize the Toxicity When It Leaks Back In.
Sadly, I've had some of that toxicity leak back into my life this week, and I caught myself stress-eating after I interacted and engaged with toxic folks.  (Luckily, I only had jerky and nuts within my reach.)  I physically felt the shaky spike of stress and cortisol during these interactions.


I'm grateful that I now recognize toxic friendships for what they are, and I'm especially grateful for the supportive, tighter-knit group of friendships that I've fostered during the pull-up journey.


Step Three: Celebrate the Good Life -- the Good, Good Life
Once you've culled the toxicity, which isn't easy, celebrate the new friends you've met (will meet) along your healthier journey, and appreciate the friends and family who were there all along.


So, there you have it.  JPQ's new component of the Paleo, CrossFit lifestyle.


Sleep Well
Eat Well
Exercise Smart
Send Toxic Friends Packing


I'll use the acronym "SEES."


Next up?
Kipping pull-ups.


Coach Hoyer has me practicing on a box.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment